Friday, July 30, 2010

First Day in the City

Wow. What an experience! Just getting to the city was a journey. We started at the Marlow train station. Took the the Marlow Donkey to Maidenhead. Switched trains at Maidenhead and arrived at Paddington. The Paddington train station was huge! I definitely stopped and took it all in. It was bustling with all kinds of people. It was very much like an airport. We caught the tube to Notting Hill Gate then got on another tube line to Oxford Circus. The tube was a bit stuffy and warm. I was totally nervous and uncomfortable the whole trip into the city. I didn’t know what to expect. But as soon as we emerged from the Oxford Circus underground, I immediately spotted Topshop, then H&M, then Urban Outfitters...then I thought “Oooooh, this might be kind of awesome!”

There were tons of people on the streets. Reminded me so much of New York City. At this point we didn’t have a map, so we bought a London A-Z book straight away (Everyone says “straight away” here, everyone). We navigated the streets to my new job and met with the HR woman I had been corresponding with for the past 7 weeks. She gave me a reference letter to go open a bank account. We then went to the bank and attempted to open a UK bank account. It is not the easiest process in the world, but our account should be open by Monday. Once we receive our bank cards we can get a mobile phone contract. Yesterday I picked up a pay-as-you-go phone but I want a Droid again, or maybe an iPhone. Those are only available by contract.

We stopped by a really pleasant park and took a break for a bit to figure out what else we wanted to do that day. I love all the parks around. Lots of people were just hanging out on the grass. We were going to go to Buckingham Palace but I was pretty exhausted, perhaps it was the jet lag. So, off we went back to Marlow...during rush hour! Yikes! Don’t like the crowded, stuffy tubes!

Map from Marlow to my work:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=10+Berwick+Close,+Marlow,+Buckinghamshire+SL7+3,+UK&daddr=St+Margarets+House,+19-23+Wells+St,+London+W1T+3PQ,+UK+(framestore)&hl=en&geocode=FYX8EgMdtxX0_yk5ZXiY6ol2SDFWPBX1vm6M7Q%3BFVQXEgMdPOb9_ylrqrIGKxt2SDHqVk8Fi2xOBQ&mra=ls&sll=51.575941,-0.780873&sspn=0.011495,0.038581&ie=UTF8&ll=51.564266,-0.458679&spn=0.367936,1.234589&z=10


Marlow Train Station
From First Day in London

From First Day in London

From First Day in London

From First Day in London

From First Day in London

From First Day in London

7 comments:

  1. Oh Trisha, I can totally hear your voice when I read this ("Everyone says “straight away” here, everyone")... I miss you both already.

    I know it all seems so scary and foreign, but you're going to have so many exciting new experiences and learn so much!

    I hope you keep up with this blog. Makes you guys not seem so far away, and fun to hear what your new life is like.

    Adman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahahaha! I LOVE the name of your blog!

    I looked at your photos of the two of you traipsing about London, and I swear I turned green with envy. There really isn't any feeling like getting into a city you've only ever read about or seen on TV, and suddenly you're there in front of some famous spot.

    You look around and realize, this isn't just a backdrop on TV but a real place and people actually call it home. It totally opens your eyes to the fact that we're one great big world, but it is oh, so small.

    Can't wait to get the next updates and hear how the job goes!

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am going to try to incorporate 'Straight away' into my daily vocabulary. In fact, I wouldn't be opposed to getting an 'English' lesson once a week or so... Just to help me vicariously experience your adventures.

    Thanks for the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog could be awesome...it certainly has a phenomenal title, and decent subject matter :)

    Miss you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE comments! They make me smile.

    Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. E & T Love this blog. keep it up, very entertaining...i might get clostrophobic on the tube.
    I miss YOU
    Love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete