Friday, July 30, 2010

Back Story

We came to London for a job. The studio I was working at in San Clemente had shut down about 4 months ago. I ended up landing a job at this super lame studio in San Diego about 2 weeks after I lost my job. Since there are not many job opportunities in our industry in San Diego, I decided that maybe now was the time I really went for it. I didn't want to just settle into this job I hated just because it was in SD. Eryn and I talked about our careers and our future and came to this conclusion: If we were going to leave San Diego, it would need to be for one of my 3 dream jobs OR to live abroad. Living abroad is something Eryn has always wanted to do. I was open to the idea. So, I got my resume and cover letters up to date and started applying. There are three companies I have always wanted to work for. One is a George Lucas company in San Fransisco, one is Pixar which is also in the Bay area and the last is Blue Sky in New York. Then I applied to 4 studios in London. I actually didn't even know which studios even existed in London but I got some recommendations from my old college friend Dax.

I ended up getting calls from LucasFilm in SF and Framestore in London. I had FOUR exhausting interviews with multiple people at LucasFilm and I had two very hard and technical interviews with Framestore. I got offers from both studios (woot!) on the same day (ugh). I don't know why offers always seem to come in twos...it makes for really hard decisions. I went back and forth for a week trying to decide. We went through the pros and cons of both over and over. Both were fantastic opportunities and would be great for my career. I had basically decided on LucasFilm, which is the much more comfortable choice for me, but then I received an email from the Framestore recruiter the night before the final decision was to be made ...We found out that Eryn would have the same working rights as me in London AND he would like to interview him because he sounds like a good fit for a position there as well. I read the email aloud to Eryn and literally slapped my forehead, "REALLY?!". I sort of felt like it was a sign, I don't know. From then on the decision was London. How could we pass up this opportunity to live in another country? How could we pass up the chance to travel all around Europe? And so, in 7 weeks we would be getting on a one way flight to fly across the pond.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great new experience. May God bless the both of you in this new adventure. May i ask which studio in SD you were at? Also, what position did you guys score at framestore?

    -George

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooHooooooo!! Awesome to hear how it all came about! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete